MMO1449 - Medieval or post-medieval lynchets or field boundaries west of Toll Gate Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 8646 4672 Three medieval and/or post-medieval lynchets or field boundaries, visible as parallel earthwork banks, were mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1947. Located on the northeast facing hillslope in Laneclose Plantation east of Birchanger bridge, the three parallel features are aligned westnorthwest-eastsoutheast around the hillslope and are bounded on all sides by paths. Of unknown height, the longest bank is 111 metres and about 2.2 metres thick (SS 8638 4671- 8649 4667). About 36 metres northeast, the second linear earthwork bank is 77 metres long and 2.2 metres wide (SS 8643 4673 , 8650 4670). 39 metres northeast of the second bank, the third earthwork bank is about 68 metres long and 1.8 metres wide. The earthwork banks may represent field boundaries or lynchets associated with the deserted settlement (MMO793) about 250 metres to the southeast, but were no longer visible in 1972. [1-3] The site was visited by an ENPA archaeologist in January 2013 and it was confirmed the earthworks were still extant.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3028 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 118-119 (15 April 1972).
- <3>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #35172 ]
- <4> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. Shirley Blaylock, 31 January 2013.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453863, Extant 21 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8646 4671 (147m by 89m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453863 (Original Monarch entry: 1453863)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE136
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453863
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 10:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.