MEM25133 - Edgcott House, Edgcott, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A rectangular building is shown within an apparently landscaped area (possibly an old quarry scoop) at SS 8480 3873. The building and scoop are labelled 210, which the Apportionment describes as "2 Cottages and Waste".  The building appears to have had several extensions to the rear (north) and sides. A further smaller building has been constructed to the northeast (SS 8482 3874), above the scoop and possibly within an area of gardens. A further linear range is parallel to the building's western elevation at SS 8477 3874. The main building is labelled "Edgcott House".  The 2022 MasterMap data shows Edgcott House has been further extended. The building to the west still appears to be extant; however, the building to the northeast has been removed.  The headquarters of the 540 SL Bty of 88 SL Regiment RA in 1943 was at Edgcott House, Exford. [4,5]
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 210.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3>XY SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47834 ]
- <4> SSO1271 Unpublished document: Hunt, David. 17/10/2007. email to HER.
- <5> SSO305 Collection: Unknown. 1943. Somerset.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8481 3874 (85m by 53m) With reference to SEM6703|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 23 2022 11:33AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.