MEM25029 - St Luke's Churchyard, Simonsbath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A church, dating to approximately 1856.  The parish church of St Luke was constructed after the parish of Exmoor was created in 1856 out of the old Royal Forest. [2,3] Located in the graveyard is a gravestone set up by the Exmoor Society for Anna Maria Burgess who was murdered in 1858 by her father. [3,4] Exmoor parish was created when this church was built in 1856.  On 21 October 1856 the church, with accommodation for 209 people and dedicated to St Luke, was consecrated by the Bishop of Bath and Wells, Lord Auckland. The living was a perpetual curacy with ten acres of glebe.  The conveyance of the Crown Estate apportioned from the Royal Forest was completed in 15 March 1820 to John Knight. This included 12 acres of land at Simonsbath Farm, which was staked out and reserved to the Crown as provision for a church, churchyard, parsonage house and homestead. At the time the Forest was extraparochial but the area became the Parish of Exmoor in 1856. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 79.
- <3> SEM7997 Monograph: Siraut, M.. Royal Forest, Exmoor: A guide to the Royal Forest of Exmoor. Exmoor National Park Authority. 12, 26.
- <4> SEM8014 Leaflet: 2013. Simonsbath, Exmoor: Exmoor moorland archaeology walks series. Exmoor National Park Authority.
- <5> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 31 (1990), "The first curate of Exmoor", p50-53 (N Allen).
- <6> SSO1774 Monograph: Orwin, C.S. + Sellick, R.J.. 1970. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. David and Charles Limited. 2nd Edition. p43.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7757 3941 (72m by 76m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601465
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16498
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31131
Record last edited
Jul 7 2021 10:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.