MEM24820 - Post-medieval water meadow east of Parracombe School (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Numerous post-medieval ditches extend across the fields to the north of Church Lane near the school and Churchtown Issues. These could simply be field drains but may be the remains of a post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow. It is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks. The drains, or gutters, are in the fields centred at SS 6731 4492 and SS 6715 4486. In the catch water system, approximately parallel gutters were carefully overflowed to distribute flowing water evenly down the slope over the surface of the meadow. This helped to prevent freezing in winter and encouraged early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. It is possible that the leat described in Monument record MMO2119 is part of the system. The drains cut across a field system (MDE10890). [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. P. 1-7;28-29.
- <3> SMO7107 Aerial photograph transcription: Winton, H.. 1999. Parracombe Project/Ink AP Transcription. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4>XY SMO7527 Archive: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153. [Mapped features: #46415 ; #46416 ; #46417 ; #46418 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1505833, Extant 4 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6724 4492 (248m by 177m) (4 map features)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE10890
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20573
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO311
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO3800
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE164
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1505833
Record last edited
Nov 4 2021 12:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.