MDE10890 - Medieval or post-medieval field system east of Parracombe School (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Earthwork enclosure in pasture field to northwest of Church Lane.  The site, which was first reported by Miss Eardley Wilmot, lies on sloping ground immediately beside road. Banks visible on three sides, the fourth side (southeast) being obscured by Church Lane, which may have been diverted when railway was built. The enclosure is approx 50 metres southwest to northeast and up to 40 metres southeast to northwest. Other earthworks include trackway leading north. Enclosure is subrectangular and may represent medieval settlement site or small field banks. Not shown on tithe map which gives field name "Court Meadow".  The field of the national grid reference contains the well preserved earthwork remains of a former field system and trackway. Pronounced lynchet scarps are visible within the field, some standing over 2 metres in height. The alleged enclosure appears to be a "dog-leg" in one of these lynchet scarps, or possibly the junction of several lynchets. Church lane and centery lane appear to encroach on the field system and may well postdate it.  Parts of the field system described above are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. A system of ditches overlies the lynchets and these are likely to be relatively recent drainage or could be the remains of a post medieval catch water meadow system (see MEM24820). The lynchets extend across the fields to the north of Church Lane centred at SS 6715 4488 and SS 6745 4492. [4-7]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Eardley-Wilmot, H..
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Worksheet, S Timms, 2 February 1983.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. 1 October 1993, RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. 20 December 1999.
- <5> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <6> SMO7107 Aerial photograph transcription: Parracombe Project/Ink AP Transcription.
- <7>XY SMO7527 Archive: 1999. RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153. [Mapped features: #46419 ; #46420 ; #46421 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6725 4492 (283m by 150m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505833 (Pastscape entry: 1505833)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910075 (Pastscape entry: 910075)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20020
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/120
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20573
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO311
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO3800
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE56
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910075
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 4:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.