MEM24737 - Exmoor House, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Exford depicts a rectangular building abutting the north side of the main road through the centre of Exford at SS 8528 3837. It is labelled 1201, which the Apportionment describes as a house, owned and occupied by William Balmond Junior.  It is shown in a similar layout but with a small addition to the rear on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] The building is now labelled Exmoor House. It has been extended to the rear.  The property has a rendered front and side, with a slate roof. The front doors have a decorative fanlight under a hipped hood. There is now a tea room occupying the building, which is accessed from the rear extension of the property.  Exmoor House had three single and 13 double beds in 1962. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1201.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. Catherine Dove, 6 August 2019.
- <6> SEM8687 Report: Gibbs. 1962. Exford Village Survey. 9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8528 3838 (12m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Aug 20 2019 2:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.