MEM23989 - Crown Inn, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large building is shown on the Tithe Map at SS 8536 3842, facing a triangular road junction to the south. It is labelled 1182, together with various outbuildings to the northwest; these are jointly described as "Shop and Smithy" in the accompanying Tithe Apportionment, owned by Courtney Sage and occupied by Nicholas Orwood. It appears that this main building was the shop and the smithy may have been in one of the outbuildings. [1,2] The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the building in the same location, with a long range of outbuildings heading northwards to the rear. It is labelled "Crown Inn" on this map. There is also a pump labelled at SS 8535 3843, again to the rear of the property.  The building is now known as the Crown Hotel and appears to have been subject to some extensions on its eastern side.  A photograph of the site shows the property in the late 19th Century. It was two storeys in height with a rendered front elevation and with sash windows. It was at this time named "Tarr's Family & Commercial Inn and Posting House." This contrasts sharply with another photograph taken of the site of a much more recent date and shown on the same page; the building now has a third tile hung storey and the second storey windows have been replaced with casements. There have been other alterations to the number and positions of doors and windows on the ground floor. It is now known as "The Crown Hotel". N.B. The historic photograph in the book is said to have been taken in c. 1895 but the mapping evidence provided by  shows that the building must date prior to 1889, as the name of the property had been changed by this date. [5,2] The Crown overlooks the green.  In 1962, the Crown Hotel had 11 single and 9 double rooms and was under new ownership. There was also a skittle alley.  A photograph of the inn taken shows the frontage of the building. It is named "The Crown Hotel". 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1182.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 20 February 2018.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #44018 Current plan of building, ]
- <5> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 53.
- <6> SEM8113 Monograph: Orbach, J. and Pevsner, N.. 2014. The Buildings of England: Somerset - South and West. Yale University Press. 300.
- <7> SEM8687 Report: Gibbs. 1962. Exford Village Survey. 9, 11.
- <8> SEM8643 Monograph: Blackman, H., Blaylock, S., Thomas, C. and Wall, N.. 2019. A field guide to Exmoor's traditional roadside fingerposts. Exmoor National Park Authority. 1st Edition. Image, p 33.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8536 3844 (25m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jun 30 2022 10:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.