MEM23948 - Undated hollow way on Burcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A hollowed track 4-5m wide and up to 0.6m deep is aligned east-west and appears to be directed towards (or away from) the area of extractive workings at MEM23944 was noted by Cornwall Council during a walkover survey of Burcombe and Wester Emmetts. It fades at the head of the slope to the west.  A 4-5m wide holloway was discovered during a Mires walkover survey of Burcombe. The holloway runs east-west with a slight bend along the gradient of the combe, it could possibly be connected to the mining activity on Burcombe.  The feature appears to have been transcribed as a drainage ditch by the National Mapping Project and recorded under MMO2881. [3,4]
- <1> SEM8121 Report: Kirkham, G. and Taylor, S.. 2012. Burcombe and Wester Emmetts, Exmoor: Archaeological Survey. Cornwall County Council Historic Environment Service (Projects). p14, EBC12(19).
- <2> SEM8436 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2014. Archaeological walkover surveys on Burcombe: May - October, 2012. Exmoor National Park Authority. p12, EBC12(19).
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 7520 3794 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Burcombe): EBC12(19)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2022 3:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.