MEM23808 - Post-medieval water management features north of Rookery (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Post-medieval field banks and drainage ditches to the north of Rookery are visible on vertical aerial photographs. [1-3] The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps shows two streams, beginning at SS 9042 3083 and SS 9033 3067, meeting at SS 9037 3066 before heading south to a pond at SS 9037 3063. A water course then heads south from the pond, controlled by a sluice at SS 9038 3062 and heading down to Little Highercombe farmstead which it meets at SS 9035 3051. It may well have supplied the water to drive the wheel mentioned in MSO9393. Some of the features mentioned are still apparently extant, although a new pond has since been created at SS 9040 3075. [4-6] The information mentioned in [1-3] above was transferred from MSO9393. It is not clear how many of the features recorded within that record pertain to water management. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0269-70 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/69116 207-8 (17 April 1969).
- <3> SMO6670 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SW.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 20 March 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9039 3068 (152m by 363m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW101
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1134105
Record last edited
Jun 21 2021 3:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.