MSO9393 - Post-medieval field boundaries north of Rookery (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Post-medieval field banks and drainage ditches to the north of Rookery are visible on vertical aerial photographs. [1-3] The Tithe Map for Dulverton shows a field boundary that begins at SS 9033 3083. It runs to the southeast, before following an Z shaped route between SS 9036 3082 and SS 9038 3076 and finally following the modern field boundary's path southwards. This route has been partially recorded by the National Mapping Project ; it is not clear whether the other features they have noted are historic field boundaries or drainage ditches (see MEM23808). [4,5] The route of the z shaped field boundary shown on the Tithe Map had been altered to form a gentle curve by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, albeit with a small z shaped 'step' where it turned to head southwestwards at SS 9038 3076. This arrangement was repeated on the 2nd Edition map. The curved part of the boundary has since been removed and the boundaries in this area rearranged. [6-8] N.B. Information originally held in this record relating to drainage ditches has been moved to MEM23808. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0269-70 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/69116 207-8 (17 April 1969).
- <3> SMO6670 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SW.
- <4> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 20 March 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9039 3077 (152m by 178m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1134105 (Original Monarch entry: 1134105)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MEM23808
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1134105
Record last edited
Apr 4 2017 9:10AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.