MEM23773 - Dunster Priory Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A map of Dunster dating to the late 18th Century shows a rectangular enclosure formed by a group of buildings at SS 9901 4372, arranged to form a yard with the dovecote in its centre. The Tithe Barn (MSO9436) forms its eastern boundary. The buildings are shown across the entire northern and western sides, with the western end of the southern side also occupied.  The arrangement described above is shown similarly on the Dunster Tithe Map, except with a small length of walling built abutting the dovecote to its south. The group, including the Tithe Barn (MSO9436) and Prior's House (MSO12115) all fall under the same ownership and are together labelled as land parcel 61. The accompanying Tithe Apportionment describes this as "House Barton Garden etc", part of the Priory and owned by John Fownes Luttrell Esquire, being occupied by Thomas Oatway (it is, however, noted that this land is tithe free).  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the farmstead appears to have been mostly demolished, leaving two small structures at SS 9901 4373 and SS 9898 4373 (the latter of which is still extant). The area appears to have been remodelled to form gardens and to allow the current road to pass through the site. Some of the walls to the farm buildings appears to have survived and are now listed. [3-5] In 1539 Dunster Priory was dissolved and the lands and buildings passed to the Crown before being leased to John Luttrell. The Luttrells had bought the manor in 1375. John lived in Priory Farm and was the uncle of John Luttrell, the owner of Dunster Castle. In 1543 the property was sold to the Luttrell family. The Priory Farm is now known as "The Old Priory". 
- --- SEM8457 Map: Unknown. c.1770. Plan of the Priory, Dunster. Pen and Ink.
- <1> SEM8088 Map: Unknown. 1790. Map of Dunster. 5 chains: 1 inch.
- <2> SEM8089 Map: 1842. Dunster Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 61.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM7015 Report: Croft, B.. 2007. Dunster Tithe Barn: Archaeological recording and excavations 2005-2007; Interim report November 2007.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9901 4372 (65m by 39m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: 19th Century stone wall on north side of Priory Green (Building) (MSO12118)
- Parent of: 19th Century wall on south side of Priory Green (Building) (MSO12114)
- Parent of: Dovecote at Dunster Priory Farm (Building) (MSO9437)
- Parent of: Nos 5 and 7, Priory Green, Dunster (Building) (MSO12115)
- Parent of: Post-medieval farm building remains west of The Tithe Barn (Monument) (MEM23813)
- Parent of: Tithe Barn, 3 Priory Green, Dunster (Building) (MSO9436)
- Part of: Dunster Priory (Monument) (MSO9407)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 10 2017 9:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.