MEM23474 - Chibbet Post signpost, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A guide post is marked on modern MasterMap data.  The signpost was visited in October 2015 and its condition assessed. It has SCC (Somerset County Council) repeated on the four sides of a pyramid finial. The attached fingers read: WITHYPOOL 1 1/2 DULVERTON 9 LANDACRE 2 SIMONSBATH 5 LYNTON 15 The collar reads CHIBBET POST. The post was made by Sheldon Wells.  SS 8431 3775. Chibbet Post is on an early road over Winsford Hill. Chibbet was a nearby settlement, recorded as Cubyate in 1208; in 1327, Willelmo de Chybeyete is mentioned in the Lay Subsidy Rolls. By 1610 a well used road passed Chibbet and cross Landacre Bridge towards Barnstaple. Chibbet is a Westcountry word for a plover, although the name may otherwise mean a gate near wild animals. The idea of a gibbet or gallos here originates in RD Blackmore's novel Lorna Doone. Chibbet Post is named on the 1889 and 1902-7 Ordnance Survey maps. [3,4]. Unusually there are two posts here, both of mid 20th Century Sheldon Wells type. 
- <1> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <2> SEM8298 Unpublished document: Various. 2015. Exmoor and West Somerset Signpost Survey Pilot. EF9.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1902-7.
- <5> SEM8643 Monograph: Blackman, H., Blaylock, S., Thomas, C. and Wall, N.. 2019. A field guide to Exmoor's traditional roadside fingerposts. Exmoor National Park Authority. 1st Edition. p 31.
|Grid reference||SS 8431 3775 (point) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Signpost Project Pilot 2015 (B): EF9
Record last edited
Jul 4 2022 1:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.