MEM23407 - Spire Cross, Winsford Hill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A guide post is marked on modern MasterMap data.  The signpost was visited in September 2015 and its condition assessed. It has SCC (Somerset County Council) repeated on the four sides of a pyramid finial. The attached fingers read: EXFORD 7 WITHYPOOL 6 B3223 [modern camping sign] DULVERTON 5 B3223; interlocking with SIMONSBATH 9 LYNTON 19 B3223 KNAPLOCK WINSFORD 1 3/4 TARR STEPS [arrow] ANCIENT MONUMENT The collar reads SPIRE CROSS. The post was made by Sheldon Wells.  A photograph from around the First World War shows James Weetch beside a wooden signpost with 4 arms and painted alternate black and white bands.  SS 8883 3354. Spire Cross is named and a guide post is shown on the 1891 Ordnance Survey Map and routes lead from here to Higher and Lower Spire. The name "Spire" is likely from the Old English word for rush, perhaps suggesting a place where rushes grow. A simple wooden signpost is shown in a photograph likely to date after 1930 , which has a black and white striped post. It was likely removed in 1940. Three posts are mentioned in a guide book dating to 1928, marking the way to Tarr Steps. A cast iron signpost with a black and white striped pole is shown in a photograph taken in 1958. The current signpost is typically mid 20th Century (it may be the same post) but includes a number of replacement arms in different materials as well as a modern brown tourism sign. The Ancient Monument directional sign is clearly visible in the 1958 photograph. 
- <1> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <2> SEM8298 Unpublished document: Various. 2015. Exmoor and West Somerset Signpost Survey Pilot. 8285122.
- <3> SEM8357 Archive: Winsford History Society. Various. Winsford Archive. photo os James Weetch, Gamekeeper.
- <4> SEM8643 Monograph: Blackman, H., Blaylock, S., Thomas, C. and Wall, N.. 2019. A field guide to Exmoor's traditional roadside fingerposts. Exmoor National Park Authority. 1st Edition. p 42-43.
|Grid reference||SS 8883 3354 (point) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Signpost Project Pilot 2015 (C): 8285122
Record last edited
Jun 30 2022 12:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.