MEM23181 - Westermill Farm, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Exford Tithe Map shows a domestic building (coloured pink, at c. SS 8240 3982) and two associated buildings (coloured grey, at c. SS 8241 3984 and SS 8242 3980) at the site. The land to the west is labelled "Western Mill".  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published, the farmstead had increased in size and was now labelled "Westermill Farm". The farmhouse had been extended to the east and a parallel range of buildings built to its northern elevation. A further building is shown on a similar alignment to the farmhouse at the site of the original outbuilding to the southeast. It is not clear how much the new farm range and the southeastern outbuilding incorporate the fabric of the two outbuildings depicted on the Tithe Map. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map; since this was surveyed, the site has been greatly increased in size, particularly to the northeast. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was said to be altered but possibly contains earlier fabric. Behind and opposite was noted a plain late 19th Century range, with part slate and part asbestos roofs, forming a small yard. Other 20th Century works are around the site, with a camp site. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 146 (labelled Westhill in error).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8240 3984 (81m by 88m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 146
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.