MSO11263 - Post-medieval watermill at Westermill Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Local tradition of a watermill here fed by a long leat from the west side of River Exe.  No visible signs at mill site but leat traceable in parts from Sparkham Water. The waterwheel generated electricity installed in 1957 and removed 1963.  Mentioned in the 1815 perambulation - "proceeds in the same direction near certain old Inclosure called West Mill farm..".  Not mentioned in Aston's list.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 7 January 1977.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 24 November 1977.
- <3> SSO1302 Monograph: MacDermot, E T. 1911. A History of Exmoor Forest. 423.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 71-104.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974428, Extant 23 August 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8239 3985 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974428 (Pastscape entry: 974428)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6748
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW23
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974428
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33604
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 4:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.