MEM23175 - Slattenslade Farm, Martinhoe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Martinhoe in an informal courtyard arrangement. The farmhouse is sited at SS 6785 4840, with a long thin range orientated northeast to southwest at SS 6784 4841 and an L shaped range at SS 6786 4842. These buildings are situated within plots 104 and 103; 104 is listed as a farm house and garden within a "tenement in Slattenslade", with 103 listed as "gardens barn" (or "Gardens Barn"). Both were owned by Sir Robert Throckmorton, Baronet, and occupied by William Latham.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the farmhouse had been reduced in size and the L shaped building had been demolished, with two new small outbuildings forming the northeastern corner of the farmyard. This is repeated on the 2nd Edition map but with the long range of buildings at SS 6784 4841 heavily reduced in size. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the buildings north of the farmhouse have been demolished and a larger agricultural building constructed to its north.  The site was visited in January 1997. The house was said to have the appearance of a 17th Century building, but with much alteration. 
- <1> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcels 103, 104.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 138.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6786 4840 (53m by 67m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 3
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.