MEM23173 - Lower Slattenslade Farm, Martinhoe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Martinhoe and listed under "Slattenslade", with the main farm range being in land parcel 94 and described in the Apportionment as "Farm House Buildings", owned by Sir Robert Throckmorton (Baronet) and occupied by Amos Slowley. The buildings are in a similar form to the present day, with some alterations and additions to the original farmyard buildings. A further building is shown to the north of the yard, at SS 6782 4842; this is present on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but had beem removed by the time the 2nd Edition map had been surveyed. To the northwest of this latter building is a small enclosed area shown as an orchard on the Tithe Map and the 1st and 2nd Edition maps; recent aerial photographs show there are still trees present here. [1-5] The site was visited in January 1997. The rubble farm buildings had been noted to be converted, with roof lights and a veranda. 
- <1> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcel 94, 95.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 138.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6781 4841 (44m by 62m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 138
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.