MEM23076 - Pitsworthy Farm, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map and labelled Lower Pittsworthy. It is comprised of a farmhouse with attached building on its eastern elevation (?a barn), a barn to its north and a small building to its south, with a pond to the east of this building.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the small building and pond to the south of the farmhouse had been removed, as apparently had the building attached to the farmhouse itself. The building to the north of the farmhouse had either been demolished and replaced by or altered to form a smaller L shaped building, with a further building sited to its north. A further barn was constructed to the farmhouse's west, adjacent to the stream; this is the building that houses the farm waterwheel (see MSO11281). The 2nd Edition map shows little change from this one except that the barn housing the waterwheel has been extended northwards. Both maps show the farmstead labelled as Lower Pitsworthy. [2,3] The modern mapping shows that since the 2nd Edition map was created, the farmhouse and the L shaped building to its north have been joined together. There have also been a few small buildings constructed around the site.  The site was visited in January 1997. The farm was noted to have been subject to modifications in the 20th Century but possible field gutters were noted on the drive.  It was suggested by Hamilton that Pitsworthy may be of some antiquity and that the building may have been the manor house of Almsworthy Manor. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 149.
- <6> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 26.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8370 4025 (58m by 78m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 149
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 10:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.