MEM22355 - School southeast of St Mary's Church, Lynton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A school is marked on Lynton Tithe Map in this location.  A larger building occupies the site on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. This appears to have been subsumed and to have become Imperial Court on modern (2013) mapping. It is not clear whether the original school was incorporated into the larger building showing on the 1st Edition map and whether it is now preserved within the currently extant building. [2,3] A new National School was opened c.50 metres to the southwest in 1844. It is not clear whether there was any overlap in provision of learning between the schools. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
- <4> SEM6953 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Lynton: Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 11 April 2016.
|Grid reference||SS 7209 4940 (point) (Historic mapping)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 1:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.