MEM22223 - Lower Doverhay (previously Barn End), Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Much of this part of Porlock was within the adjoining parish of Luccombe parish until 1930 and still forms a somewhat separate visual entity with the greatest concentration of early domestic buildings [in Porlock]. This group includes the former Manor House, and extends beyond the present conservation area boundary to Higher Doverhay, a farmhouse dating from the 16th century, owned by the National Trust. The main road axis runs north to south, and some cottages may also have medieval origins. Lower Doverhay and Higher Doverhay and their outbuildings, are stone built with Bridgwater tile roofs (probably replacing thatch). The former probably dates from the 17th century, and, although a good example of the local vernacular style, is  unlisted. Lower Doverhay, with typical vernacular features, was the home of Charles E.H. Chadwyck-Healey, a local history author of the late 19th/early 20th century who assisted in the restoration of Doverhay Manor.  Lower Doverhay is a 3-bay cross passage farmhouse with lateral stack, rubblestone and Roman tile roof. There are later extensions to north end and an attached barn at the south end.  The building is shown on Luccombe Tithe Map.  The building was subject to survey in August 1989. It was noted to be a two storey rubble walled house with a tiled roof, aligned down a slope and with a barn added at the southern (higher) end. It was thought to have been originally of a three room plan with a deep fireplace with oven heating the central hall, which also features a stair turret. It is possible the house had a cross passage or cross entry but the western wall in the property has been rebuilt. There are several chamfered beams in the property, although it was suggested these were not in their original positions. The house was suggested to be of a mid to late 16th Century date.  A measured survey with plan, section and some drawn details and photographs suggests the building to be a possible long house of mid to late 16 Century date or earlier with later changes. Large hall fireplace and stair turret, early window and other feature. The building was at one time known as Barn End but is shown as Lower Doverhay on the late 19th Century Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6]
- --- SEM8385 Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. Photograph of Mr Ridler outside Lower Doverhay Farm, Porlock. B/W.
- <1> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22, 29.
- <2> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 41, 42, 76.
- <3> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM8349 Report: Williams, E.H.D.. 1989. Porlock. Doverhay. Barn End. (formerly Lower Doverhay Farm).
- <5> SEM8180 Report: Ewing, M. 2015. Survey at Lower Doverhay House, Porlock.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8885 4655 (10m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
Record last edited
Nov 8 2016 9:01AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.