MEM22151 - Gate Cottage, West Lynch (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The 2003 Conservation Area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch suggests this building was converted from the former mill.  The building is mentioned in the 2019 Conservation Area Appraisal for Bossington.  Gate Cottage is depicted and labelled on the 2022 MasterMap data.  The house is shown on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, when it appears to have had various extensions and outbuildings and have abutted the mill buildings to the south (MSO11577). [4,5] The building is not shown on the Tithe Map for Selworthy.  An old cart shed was converted into a cottage in c.1911, which later became Gate Cottage. 
- <1> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p15.
- <2> SEM8698 Report: Pratt, N. and Thurlow, T.. 2019. Bossington and West Lynch Conservation Area: appraisal document. Exmoor National Park Authority. p 28, Figure 32.
- <3> SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM341291 Article on website: Anonymous. 2021. The House. Bossington Hall. Accessed 28 July 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 901 476 (12m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2022 11:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.