MSO11577 - Lynch Mill, West Lynch (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
"Mill leat" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map.  Was a corn mill called Lynch Mill. Completely rebuilt in the early 20th Century on the site of a Domesday mill. Leat from Horner Water. Iron trough and iron overshot wheel 15 feet 2 inches diameter and 6 feet wide with 48 buckets. Last used in the 1930s. Adjacent older buildings contain grain kiln in good condition.  The mill leat is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The building at the northwestern end of the feature is labelled "Corn Mill".  The leat is still visible on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1633 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94NW.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 2 December 1977.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #39237 ]
- <4> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9018 4753 (152m by 208m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33983
Record last edited
Dec 1 2020 3:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.