MEM22010 - The Retreat / Dulverton Residential Centre (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- EVACUEE CENTRE (AD 20th Century - 1939 AD to 1945 AD (Unclassified))
- CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION HOSTEL (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1980 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- PRIESTS HOUSE (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1900 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
The private house, the Retreat was used as a sick bay for evacuees during the Second World War. It was also the presbytery, but, since the 1980s, it is used as a residential youth centre for the Diocese of Clifton.  'The Retreat' is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.111, 123.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.45.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9132 2779 (21m by 20m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2012 3:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.