MEM21918 - Police Station/ Ellerton's Stores/ Dulverton Pharmacy, High Street, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- POLICE STATION (AD 19th Century to AD 20th Century - 1858 AD to 1902 AD (Unclassified))
- SHOP (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1902 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- CHEMISTS SHOP (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1902 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (FINANCIAL) (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1902 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
The police station at the junction between Fore Street and High Street, became Ellerton's Stores, then a cycle shop, bank, and now a chemist.  On the Dulverton Pharmacy, there appears to be a refronting of an earlier building in an early 20th century Arts and Crafts style, with leaded light windows and a frontage of dressed Ham Hill stone, including a first floor roundel window with opposed keystones.  In 1858, the first police station in Dulverton was built on the site of the house and shop known as 'Bastille'. The building was converted into a bank in 1902, and is currently the Dulverton Pharmacy. 
- <1> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.44-46, Photos.
- <2> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p17, 18, Photograph.
- <3> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.90, 92, Photograph.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9137 2786 (12m by 12m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2012 10:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.