MDE9890 - Eastern of two prehistoric standing stones on Badgworthy Lees (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7878 4467 Stone (NAT)  At Badgworthy Lees, South of Withycombe Ridge Water, two stones are shown on the Ordnance Survey map .  SS 788 446 One standing stone. The eastern of the two probably prehistoric standing stones has apparently been removed.  Formerly recorded under MDE1267, the easternmost of two standing stones (the west stone is now MDE9891). This stone, still visible, contra authority , is an irregular slab with a jagged point, 0.7 metres high, 0.6 metres wide and 0.3 metres thick at the base. It now stands in an erosion hole, 1.5 metres across and 0.2 metres deep. It is regarded as probably prehistoric and is scheduled as such, but its origin remains uncertain.  The site was surveyed in 2003. The stone is stable but there is an active erosion hollow to the south caused by sheep. The stone measures 1.2 metres and up to 0.1 metres deep.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  The site was again subject to survey in 2012. It was noted that a convergence of animal tracks met at the stone and there were signs of animal rubbing.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  MDE9890 is a thick tapering rough upright stone measuring 0.65 by 0.68 by 0.2 metres, situated on a northeast facing spur on Badgworthy Lees, close to the Bridleway that runs through the area. It is an isolated stone, but situated close to another single standing stone (MDE9891). The monuments condition is considered to be “very good” since 2015. The bracken that was noted during the last survey is very low, however, animal rubbing that was noted in 2012 continues. This has created a series of animal tracks converging on the stone and slight erosion hollow. [12-13] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6796 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. and Worth, R.H.. 1906. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. II, pp 538-552. P. 547.
- <4> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. P. 190.
- <5> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 6 October 1974.
- <6> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 31 January 1989.
- <7> SEM6936 Report: Dray, K.. 2003. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Badgworthy Land Company Owned Land, Exmoor. P. 42.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM7915 Report: Slater, E.. 2012. A condition survey of standing stones on Badgworthy Land Company owned land, Exmoor National Park. p55.
- <10> SEM7800 Article in serial: Fowler, M. J. F.. 1993. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A provisional catalogue of 86 North Devon sites. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 125. 155-178. 125.
- <11> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <12> SEM8602 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018 - Scheduled Standing Stones. MDE9890.
- <13>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MDE9890. [Mapped feature: #45453 Standing Stone., MDE9890]
- <14> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890237, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7878 4466 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890273 (Pastscape entry: 890273)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SE/5
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 638
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20003
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE96
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890273
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 10:10AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.