MDE9010 - Post-medieval building within field system on Holdstone Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a small sub-rectangular building are centred at SS 6134 4779. It lies adjacent to a field boundary which forms its southeastern side. The building measures 4.2 metres by 3.4 metres. It is defined by revetted banks 2 metres wide and 1.8 metres high at best, with an entrance 1.2 metres wide at its northern corner. The building appears to be contemporary with the construction of the field boundary on its southeast side. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [1-3] The building is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, with a path leading to it from the northwest. [4,5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <2> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <3> SMO4804 Survey: Holdstone Down/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6134 4778 (7m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=873026 (Original Monarch entry: 873026)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60614
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/100
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21680
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW41
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 873026
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.