MDE9007 - Post-medieval field system on Holdstone Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 6133 4806 are the remains of a post-medieval field system extending to some 12 hectares. It lies on a natural plateau on the northwestern side of Holdstone Down and comprises 5 fields forming an irregular block, and containing the very slight and fragmentary vestiges of narrow ridge and furrow or striations. The site is reminiscent of enclosure field systems but appears to predate the enclosure of Holdstone Down in the 1870s (MDE8959). Within the system are three buildings in ruined condition (MDE9009 & MDE9010), which may be associated with its period of use. In addition, there is a mine (MD8960) in the triangular field at the western end of the system. Further buildings lie to the south (MDE9011), which post-date the system. It is also crossed by a modern track which was part of a proposed development of this area around the turn of the last century (MDE8962). Several features predate the system. A small cairn lies within the system at its north end (MDE9008). In addition there are a number of earthen banks which emerge from under the field system or are crossed by its boundaries (see ). These appear to represent earlier attempts to cultivate the area, possibly in the medieval or early post-medieval period, and are sometimes described as rye banks suggesting a temporary period of use . Surveyed at 1:2500. [1-4]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. McDonnell, R..
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SMO4804 Survey: Holdstone Down/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6130 4796 (473m by 475m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872955 (Original Monarch entry: 872955)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60612
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/98
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21678
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW38
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872955
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.