MDE8989 - Possible Bronze Age barrow or post-medieval peat stack on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 7364 4496 Peat stack. At SS 7364 4496, on the northeast edge of Furzehill Common is a flat topped earthern mound, turf covered. The mound is quite circular, 4.0 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. It is enclosed by a very slight ditch 0.9 metres wide and at best 0.1 metres deep. On the side the ditch has been mutilated by a track. Although a prehistoric origin cannot be entirely discounted it seems likely that the mound represents a former peat stack. There is evidence of peat digging on the Common and two larger but less perfect mounds were found within 150 metres to the westnorthwest.  SS 73643 44963. An earthern ditched mound, probably a barrow. This low mound, 4.5 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high, is basically as described by the RCHME. Probing revealed a slight stone content but no more than the surrounding natural ground.  The feature described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a suboval mound measuring approximately 4.5 metres in diameter. It lies in a prominent position, close to the summit of Furzehill Common, and two other mounds can be seen within 200 metres, at least one of which has been identified as a Bronze Age barrow or cairn. [3,4]
- <1> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 January 1992, NV Quinnell..
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 September 1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4084-85 (8 November 1952).
- <4>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #47033 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7364 4496 (8m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872346 (Pastscape entry: 872346)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO288
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW99
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872346
Record last edited
Feb 15 2021 10:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.