MDE12865 - Disputed Bronze Age barrow on Furzehill Common (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 735 450. A visitor to the site in 1980 noted a small round barrow, diameter 5 paces, height 1 to 2 feet, showing as vegetation change and solid patch in boggy area. It lies on the skyline, southwest of the hunting gate in the hedge.  SS 73504 44950. A turf covered mound, probably a natural feature. Situated about 365 metres above Ordnance Datum on the northeast side of the plateau top of Furzehill Common this rather irregularly shaped mound is about 4.2 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres maximum height. Probing revealed some stone content but no more than the surrounding ground. The area has shallow soil coverage dominated by heather and rough grass and is quite wet. The mound does not appear to be a barrow nor is it likely to be a peat stack; there is little depth of peat in this area. It may be a clearance heap, though there is little stone evident in it. It is most probably a natural tump. Surveyed at 1:2500 (for record only).  The mound described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs. Its size and position, between two known Bronze Age monuments indicate that it may be a barrow or cairn, but the lack of stone content described by the authorities above suggest that it is more like to be a natural feature. [3,4]
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. Site visit, H Eardley-Wilmot, 1980.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 September 1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/540/931 4084-85 (8 November 1952).
- <4> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. MD002182.
|Grid reference||SS 7350 4494 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044273 (Pastscape entry: 1044273)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/35
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12607
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20372
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO497
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW143
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044273
Record last edited
Mar 20 2015 3:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.