MDE8986 - Post-medieval water power at Tattiscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
The remains of a pond with leats and sluice arrangement, and the site of a water wheel used to power threshing machinery at Tattiscombe Farm. The remains of a subrectangular pond (now dry) lie at SS 6300 4654. The pond is defined by a scarp 1.6 metres high on its upper or northeastern side. On the lower side, a stone lined bank up to 2.0 metres in height acts as a dam. The remains of an iron sluice gate is visible at the southern corner of the pond. The pond itself was supplied by a leat from the northeast, and in turn was used as a header to supply a wheel to the southeast. Only fragmentary remains of the inlet and outlet leats survive. The site of the water wheel was indicated by the farmer at SS 6302 4649. The wheel pit was filled in recently and has now been levelled off. It is not known when the wheel was removed. Pond surveyed at 1:2500. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4805 Technical drawing: Wilson-North, R.. 1993. Tattiscombe/ink survey . 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SMO5831 Collection: RCHME Exeter. 1993-1999. Exmoor Project.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 July 1993.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 872278, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6302 4648 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872278 (Pastscape entry: 872278)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60608
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/94
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21674
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW20
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 872278
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 3:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.