MDE8986 - Post-medieval water power at Tattiscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- POND (AD 19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD? to 1950 AD? (Possible))
- WHEEL PIT (AD 19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD? to 1950 AD? (Possible))
- LEAT (AD 19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD? to 1950 AD? (Possible))
- SLUICE (AD 19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD? to 1950 AD? (Possible))
- None recorded
The remains of a pond with leats and sluice arrangement, and the site of a water wheel used to power threshing machinery at Tattiscombe Farm. The remains of a sub-rectangular pond (now dry) lie at SS 6300 4654. The pond is defined by a scarp 1.6 metres high on its upper or northeastern side. On the lower side, a stone lined bank up to 2.0 metres in height acts as a dam. The remains of an iron sluice gate is visible at the southern corner of the pond. The pond itself was supplied by a leat from the northeast, and in turn was used as a header to supply a wheel to the southeast. Only fragmentary remains of the inlet and outlet leats survive. The site of the water wheel was indicated by the farmer at SS 6302 4649. The wheel pit was filled in recently and has now been levelled off. It is not known when the wheel was removed. Pond surveyed at 1:2500. (1)
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation 02-JUL-1993 (WR Wilson North).
- <2> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <3> SMO4805 Survey: Tattiscombe/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
|Grid reference||SS 6302 4648 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872278 (Pastscape entry: 872278)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60608
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/94
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21674
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW20
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872278
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.