MDE8284 - 18th or 19th Century mine workings on northern slopes of Little Hangman (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 5855 4811. Mine workings shown, but not annotated by the Ordnance Survey . These old workings are situated on the steep northern slopes of Little Hangman at SS 5855 4811. They consist of a linear rock cutting, or costean, about 50 metres long northwest to southeast and 10 metres maximum width. The workings were entered from the southeast by a narrow track which is now cut by a massive erosion gulley. These workings, possibly for iron/manganese ore , may have been associated with the Little Hangman Lode.  (Note: The slopes, shown on the 1963 OS 1:2500 (SS 5848) some 40 metres north of these workings at SS 5854 4815, are not workings but a natural outcrop. The cliff symbol has been incorrectly depicted as slopes).  There is a linear hollow below the northeast side of the tor enclosure meaursing 50 metres by 8 metres and 2 metres deep. It is probably the result of prospecting for or extraction of iron or manganese in the 18th and 19th Centuries.  The site was surveyed in 2009. It was described as 50 metres long, 8 metres wide and up to 2 metres deep. It was thought to be the result of prospecting for, or extraction of, iron or manganese in the late 18th and 19th Centuries. [6,7]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 1(15).
- <2> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <3> SDE65371 Article in serial: Anon.. 1864. New Combmartin Silver-Lead Mine. Mining Journal. P. 102.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1993.
- <5> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon.
- <6> SEM8318 Unpublished document: Sinton, P, Riley, H. and Pullen, R.. 2009. Enclosure and platforms on Little Hangman hill, Combe Martin, Devon. 1:500.
- <7> SEM8317 Report: Riley, H.. 2016. Little Hangman and Challacombe Common, Exmoor National Park: Two possible earlier Neolithic enclosures on western Exmoor. 15.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5855 4810 (47m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616399 (Pastscape entry: 616399)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148435 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148435)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50079
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/130
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21475
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148435
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616399
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.