MDE21850 - Kipscombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Kipscombe was mentioned as 'Kyppescumb' in 1249, 'Kybbescomb' in 1330 & 'Kyppyscombe' in 1492.  Kipscombe is situated at the head of a combe and its site offers shelter, access to water, wood fuel from the combe, the use of relatively sheltered land either side of the combe and close proximity to open moorland and summer pastures, as well as potential access to the beach and fishing. The settlement may be pre Conquest in date but the first documentary evidence for the settlement was in 1249 when it was spelt 'Kyppescumb'; it was then called 'Kybbescomb(e) in 1330 and Kyppyscombe by 1492. The name may be derived from the Old English personal name Cyppi or Cybbi. The 1804 Ordnance Surveyors draft map  labels the site Kipscot. The farmstead and fields have probably undergone many changes, phases and patterns of use but there are only a few possible indications of the early history of the site. Some of this evidence might speculatively suggest more than a single tenement at Kipscombe. An earlier arrangement may have been two or three cottages around a communal area (one area labelled on the Tithe Map is named The Green and this may have been displaced from this communal area) and the pattern of closes around the site also support this. There is also evidence of more than one family residing in the farmstead at the same time. The Tithe Map shows the farmhouse and cottage arranged around a small enclosed courtyard. A separate barn is shown to the west, aligned north to south and another smaller building to the east . By the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the northern part of the farmhouse seems to have been removed but it had been extended to the south and a small partially open courtyard remained. The old barn to the west had been removed and a new six bay barn over a shippon added to the north end of the farmhouse. The small barn to the east was enlarged or rebuilt as the present bank barn. Minor changes had also occurred to the entrance to the yard and a garden was created on the west side of the house . [2-5] The site was visited in January 1997. A separate barn to the back of the house was noted to form a little side yard open on two sides and had a slate roof. It was in the process of being converted at the time.  The GIS mapping for the Monument has been based on the historic mapping available to the HER. [4,5,7]
- <1> SDE1312 Monograph: Gover, J. E. B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. 31.
- <2> SEM6856 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury, Devon. 6-8.
- <3> SEM8118 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1804. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map - Barnstaple, Devon. 1:63,360. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 103.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 4 December 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 759 496 (169m by 132m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71646
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 103
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.