MDE21759 - Medieval and post-medieval hollow way north of West Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Disused hollow way running southeast to northwest for c. 40 metres. There is no bank to the north but the southern bank forms a field boundary. The feature ends at the first intersecting field boundary to the north.  Part of the original route which would have continued southwest towards the road to Challacombe.  A medieval hollow way or road is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs to the north or Friendship Farm and West Ridge Farm, Challacombe. Beginning at approximately SS 6565 4195 and running approximately east to west as far as SS 6526 4223, the hollow way measures approximately 480 metres long. It is best preserved at the eastern end, where a substantial bank (up to 4 metres wide) flanks the routeway on both sides. In several places the hollow way is overlain by medieval and post-medieval field boundaries, and at SS 6552 4203 it is cut by the route of the modern A 339. Towards the western end of the hollow way however, it appears to run parallel with this road. The hollow way is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an overgrown trackway, suggesting it had been abandoned at least several years prior to publication in 1889. At least one other hollow way connects with this one (see Pastscape entry 1466951 in External Links) and it is possible that it represents a major medieval routeway. [3-5] The routeway is clearly visible on the Tithe Map for Challacombe and meets two other roads at its southeastern end.  The end of the routeway on the western side of the A399 is outside of the National Park boundary. 
- <1> SDE323788 Report: Nicholas Pearson Associates. 2000. Lynton Water Supply: Environmental report. 63.
- <2> SEM7574 Report: Whitton, C.J.M.. 2000. Archaeological Recording on the South West Water Lynton Water Supply Pipeline. 6.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F65) 189-90 (27 April 1964).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #46092 ]
- <6> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 20 May 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6545 4209 (410m by 301m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466951 (Pastscape entry: 1466951 (other road))
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466962 (Pastscape entry: 1466962 (this record))
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 64574
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/216
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2041
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE97
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466962
Record last edited
May 21 2019 3:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.