MDE21758 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow way northwest of Friendship Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A disused hollow way running southeast to northwest forming a field boundary. The banks have been removed and the hollow infilled where the water pipeline crosses it but it remains intact 20 metres to the north.  A five metre section of the former western bank of the hollow way was preserved outside the pipeline construction corridor showing a two metre wide stone faced bank. Excavation of the remnant eastern bank revealed a loose earth and stone core and a large rectangular flat stone may represent a facing stone. This track was part of the original route crossing Bratton Down to Blackmoor Gate.  The routeway is depicted on the Tithe Map for Challacombe joining to two further roads to the north.  The road appears to have fallen out of use by the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, but was partially preserved as a field boundary. 
- <1> SDE323788 Report: Nicholas Pearson Associates. 2000. Lynton Water Supply: Environmental report. 63.
- <2> SEM7574 Report: Whitton, C.J.M.. 2000. Archaeological Recording on the South West Water Lynton Water Supply Pipeline. 5.
- <3> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6572 4185 (157m by 199m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 64573
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/215
Record last edited
May 21 2019 3:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.