MDE21745 - Proposed parish boundary route between Martinhoe and Parracombe parishes (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Boundary. New boundary between Parracombe and Martinhoe, drawn up according to 1862 Parracombe Down enclosure award and map. Starts at point 'O' by end of 'old inclosures' adjoining stream at Bumsley Cleave at SS 6586 4613; then to point 'P' adjoining Barnstaple and Lynton roads (co-ordinates unclear); then to point 'Q' at SS 6733 4590; then to point 'R' at SS 6756 4609; ending at spring at point 'S' at SS 6862 4607. Lands north and west of new boundary, now in parish of Martinhoe. Lands south and east of new boundary, now in parish of Parracombe. As recorded in 1862 enclosure details. [1,2] Boundary exists on 6 inch 1963 Ordnance Survey map.  The information provided in  and  appears to be partially erroneous, or the new boundary was never approved. Between points Q and S, the parish boundary is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map following the same route as that shown on the Parracombe and Martinhoe Tithe Maps, with an intermediary point at SS 6840 4588 rather than point R. It is, however, noticeable that the land between these two boundary routes appears to have been enclosed as part of the same scheme as the land to the south, even though it is within Martinhoe Parish. [4-7] Various boundary stones are recorded on the 2020 MasterMap data along the boundary route between points O and Q. 
- <1> SEM7970 Unpublished document: 1862. Parracombe Down Enclosure Award.
- <2>XY SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays. Parracombe Down. [Mapped feature: #46740 ]
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 October 2020.
- <8> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6723 4597 (2774m by 383m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62153
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/142
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 3:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.