MDE20933 - Post-medieval parish boundary at Beacon Castle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Martinhoe and Parracombe parish boundary bisects Beacon Castle hillfort. To the west of the fort at SS 6640 4603 the existing boundary turns north, but the boundary bank through the castle continues on west to SS 6634 4604. [1,2] The route of the parish boundary is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is also as shown on the Tithe Maps for Martinhoe and Parracombe. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS6646:SF1459/455 (1 March 1979).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6645.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 664 460 (101m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 21597
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/12/2
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 3:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.