MDE21391 - Old Western Leat at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Bampfylde Mine Old Western Leat.  A similar channel to site MDE21390 is shown on a plan of 1772. Cut by a quarry by 1889. Visible over stretches of its length. 4 inches wide, 1 foot 3 inches deep. Probably served an engine mentioned in 1725.  Probably linked to one of the two water wheels noted in a visit by Swedish technician, Henric Kahlmeter, in 1724.  Curving earthwork shown on 25 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps running southeast from SS 7370 3292 to SS 7378 3280. [4,5] The above data was provided by the Devon HER. This record is possibly a duplicate of either MDE11497 or MDE11503, or more likely may contain references to both records and have confused the two features. The quarry mentioned in  is actually shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7376 3289, and cuts leat MDE11503. The grid references provided for the "curving earthwork" relate to the leat recorded as MDE11497. Access to the original sources is needed to confirm this. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 235.
- <3> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 2-7.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <6>XY SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. SS73SW/3/4. [Mapped feature: #33762 ]
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 8 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 7370 3292 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46114
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/4
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 11:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.