MDE11497 - 18th or 19th Century leat through Mines Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A leat forming part of the Bampfylde copper mining complex (MDE1219) runs from SS 7345 3309 to SS 7378 3281 along the western side of the Mole valley. It conveyed water to the two western wheels of the mining complex. The leat is marked by a hedgeline at its northern end, and further south is by a track in Mines Wood. Here it is up to 1.8 metres in width. At SS 7370 3292 the leat runs into a header pond or reservoir which is some 170 metres in length and 4.5 metres in width (see 1:1250 survey, MDE1219). The pond has been created by cutting into the west facing valley side to create a scarp 1.8 metres in height. The material from this operation has been used to dam the pond on its lower (eastern) side. A stone lined sluice arrangement carried water away from the northern end of the pond in order to bypass it when necessary. At its southern end the pond supplies a wheel pit at SS 7379 3281, and its continuation southwards has been blocked off by a stone revetted dam across the leat. This clearly shows that the pond is a later alteration of the leat. It continues southwards, becoming much narrower, being only 1.6 metres wide. It is tracable for a further 25 metres before being lost in an area of spoil dumping. South again it is visible for a further 30 metres before it ends at a second wheel pit, which it obviously supplied.  The mapping for this monument has been estimated using aerial photographs taken in 1946-8 and 2013. This requires confirmation. The pond earthworks, however, are visible on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2-6]
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 April 1993. [Mapped feature: #45975 Pond, ]
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <4>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 5 September 2017. [Mapped feature: #43890 Route of leat, ]
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7362 3291 (336m by 354m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=917642 (Pastscape entry: 917642)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW24
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 917642
Record last edited
Apr 8 2019 4:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.