MDE21390 - Western Leat at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Bampfylde Mine Western Leat.  Leat clearly served a large wheelpit set into the west hill. Dimensions range from 5 feet wide, 1 foot deep to 7 feet wide, 2 feet deep.  N.B. This data was imported from Devon HER. It is not clear whether it refers to the leat recorded as MDE11497 or MDE11503, or which wheelpit, as the record for the other leat held by Devon HER appears to refer to both leats in error (MDE21391). [3,4]
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SDE322502 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 233. 236.
- <3>XY SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. SS73SW/3/3. [Mapped feature: #33761 ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 8 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 7370 3293 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46113
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/3
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 11:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.