MDE21346 - Manor Farmhouse, Cheriton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Manor farmhouse and adjoining granary and stable. Farmhouse and adjoining granary/stable. Probably early to mid 17th Century, extended or partly rebuilt in the later 18th Century and the mid to late 19th Century, when the granary/stable was added. Coursed rubblestone, front wall of house painted and centre rendered. Rubblestone stacks (hall stack with offsets), end stack partly rendered and slate hung. Some red brick dressings to 19th Century granary/stable. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan and development: probably 17th Century 2-room plan, facing south-west, consisting of hall to right with external lateral stack to rear and present (July 1987) kitchen to left with entrances to front and back (although not opposed) and later (see straight joints) lateral stack to rear; dairy with external end stack added to left, probably in late 18th Century, and 17th Century parlour to its right with integral lateral rear stack and granary/stable added to right in the 19th Century (see straight joints). Alternatively it could be interpreted as a 3-room-and-through-passage house, the kitchen possibly a wide through-passage and the service end and inner room both later rebuilt. Further evidence for this was not available at time of survey (July 1987). 2 storeys. Exterior: asymmetrical 4 windows to first floor and 3 to ground floor; pair of first floor mid-19th Century margin-light sashes to centre, the rest 20th Century 2-light wooden and metal casements. Weathering over hall window. Boarded door off-centre to left with wooden lintel and probably 19th Century gabled porch with entrance to side.1-storey lean-to added (see straight joints) to left-hand gable-end. Granary and stable adjoining to right; central loft doorway with segmental brick-arched head and approached by flight of external steps, and ground floor doorways to left and right with segmental brick-arched heads, that to left with boarded door.1-storey lean-to addition to right. Central loft door to rear of granary. Interior: hall has chamfered spine beam with run-out stops, open fireplace with wooden lintel and bread oven, bench on front and right-hand side wall, and old cupboard with butterfly hinges. Kitchen with joists spanning left to right, some crudely chamfered, and winder stair to left of entrance. Dairy with slate shelves. Feet of principal rafters visible in first floor rooms. Access to roofspace not possible at time of survey (July 1987). This is one of a group of 3 farmhouses in the hamlet of the cheriton, which was also formerly the location of the parish church before its resiting in the early 18th Century.  The house was visited in January 1997. It was described as ancient and interesting, with recent alterations.  The buildings were visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The farmhouse and granary received a BAR score of 5 and the stable a score of 3A. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (28 November 1988) 3.
- <2> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 121.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7379 4667 (25m by 27m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (3A): 1549/3/3/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1549/3/3/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1549/3/3/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41704
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/205
Record last edited
Dec 8 2014 3:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.