MDE21323 - 19th Century farmbuildings at Killington Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- BARN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1873 AD to 2050 AD (Throughout))
- PIGGERY (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1873 AD to 2050 AD (Throughout))
- STABLE (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1873 AD to 2050 AD (Throughout))
- COW HOUSE (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1873 AD to 2050 AD (Throughout))
- FARMYARD (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1873 AD to 2050 AD (Throughout))
Courtyard range of farmbuildings, comprising barn with granary loft, stables, shippon and piggeries. 1873 by datestone. Unrendered stone rubble with brick dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends. 4-sided planned courtyard range of farmbuildings with barn and granary loft to rear, with cart entrance to left side, lofted shippons and stables forming the gable-ended wings to each side, and single storey piggeries and loose-box to each side of narrow gated front entrance. Barn has external stone steps to loft plank door with gabled slate roof. Slate dateplaque to left, initially and dated 1873. Slightly cambered brick arch to cart entrance with double plank doors. Shippons and stables have plank doors with slightly cambered brick arches, and loft doors over. Piggery fittings intact including original feeding doors in outer wall. The entire courtyard range is remarkable unspoilt, retains its cobbled yard, and occupies a prominent roadside position.  The buildings were visited in December 1996. It was described as a rubble farmyard around a square with a narrow entrance and the southwest range being lower. The cart shed was mentioned to be on the left and a tiny linhay on the right. The barn was ahead, with steps to the first floor and the date stone (inscribed "JS 1873"). The remains of a water wheel was noted at the back. The whole included brick segmental arches and the yard is cobbled. It was noted to be a very complete example.  The buildings were visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The shippon received a BAR score of 3; the others received a score of 5.  The buildings are depicted but not labelled on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Martinhoe (9 April 1987) 61.
- <2> SEM8063 Monograph: Wade Martins, S.. 1999. Thematic survey of planned and model farms: Devon. 8.
- <3> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 75.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41191 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6670 4647 (32m by 31m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (3): 1544/3/107/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1544/3/107/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1544/3/107/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1544/3/107/4
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41676
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/33/1
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 75
Record last edited
Feb 12 2021 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.