MDE21269 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Twitchen (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
'Chapel' is shown on the 1905 Ordnance Survey map.  Building shown, but not marked on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  Mill Cottage. Methodist chapel and attached manse, now house. 1860. Minor late 19th Century addition and late 20th Century alterations. Sandstone, roughly-dressed to front and uncoursed rubble to sides and rear, with some red-brick dressings to chapel. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roof. Red brick stacks. Plan: former manse to right and former chapel to left (facing south), situated at right angles to the road. Manse with plan of 2 rooms, central entrance and integral end stacks. Chapel to left also with integral stacks. Continuous lean-to outshut at rear, probably a later 19th Century addition (see straight joint to side). Brick stack to rear of right-hand end room of lean-to. Two storeys with one-storey lean-to outshut and chapel. More details on listed description.  The building is marked as 'Twitchen Mill Cottage' on the 2010 MasterMap. Another building 7 metres to the southeast is now named 'Mill Cottage'.  The building is marked as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6] The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. Sheet 15SE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Twitchen (24 November 1988) 176.
- <4> SEM7398 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7880 3017 (18m by 14m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1549/17/220
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33944
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/500
Record last edited
Feb 18 2021 4:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.