TWITCHEN TWITCHEN MILL SS 7830-7930 17/220 Mill Cottage 26.4.77 II Methodist chapel and attached manse, now house. 1860. Minor late C19 addition and late C20 alterations. Sandstone, roughly-dressed to front and uncoursed rubble to sides and rear, with some red-brick dressings to chapel. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roof. Red brick stacks. Plan: Former manse to right and former chapel to left (facing south), situated at right angles to the road. Manse with plan of 2 rooms, central entrance and integral end stacks. Chapel to left also with integral stacks. Continuous lean-to outshut at rear, probably a later C19 addition (see straight joint to side). Brick stack to rear of right-hand end room of lean-to. Two storeys with one-storey lean-to outshut and chapel. Exterior: Three-bay front to manse; small-paned 2-light wooden casements, with wooden lintels to first floor and stone flat-arched heads to ground floor. Central C20 glazed door with C20 gabled glazed porch. Three-bay front to chapel too; outer pair of large windows with brick round-arched heads and C20 small-paned wooden lights with radial fans. Central C19 four-panelled door (lower 2 panels flush) with brick segmental head and C19 shallow gabled bracketed porch. Door approached by flight of external stone steps with wrought-iron railings. Interior not inspected. sources: C Stell, Draft inventory of nonconformist chapels in Devon, RCHME.
Listing NGR: SS7881630171