MDE21227 - Old Close Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'Old Close Quarry' shown on the six inch 1962 and 2nd Edition 1905 Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] Old close quarry shown on os 25" (1880) map.  Old Close Quarry was first used for stone in the late 18th century and whilst quarrying a seam of limestone was uncovered and this was worked during the early 19th century, hence the lime kiln. The cottage at 'Old Close', which dates from 1796, was the quarry manager's house . The quarry was used for stone after the limestone was worked out but was stopped because of several bad rock collapses, evidence of which can be seen near the kiln. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 10NE.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889 (surveyed 1888), Devon 10(4). [Mapped feature: #44779 ]
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Resident of "Old Close".
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7056 4081 (149m by 103m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33095
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/117
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW158
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044503
Record last edited
Feb 23 2021 3:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.