MDE21710 - Post-medieval lime kiln at Old Close Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A limekiln built against/into bank in bad state of repair. Originally square in shape but retaining walls in various states of collapse. Front retaining wall has completely collapsed, taking with it half of the combustion chamber, which is infilled with earth and rubble.  Old limekiln shown on 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] SS 70542 40838. The remains of a lime kiln near Old Close Quarry . This lime kiln, which is now in a dilapidated state, is set into a steep slope on the northern bank of a stream opposite the Old Close Quarry and was accessed by a ramp from the north. The southern half of the kiln has collapsed (possibly robbed?) revealing part of the bowl (about 2.5 metres diameter and 2.5 metres deep) which appears to have been carved out of the rock face. Old Close Quarry was first used for stone in the late 18th Century and whilst quarrying a seam of limestone was uncovered and this was worked during the early 19th Century, hence the lime kiln. The cottage at 'Old Close', which dates from 1796, was the quarry manager's house . The quarry was used for stone after the limestone was worked out but was stopped because of several bad rock collapses, evidence of which can be seen near the kiln. This lime kiln is shown, annotated 'Old Limekiln' on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  so it must have been out of use by then. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The kiln is depicted and labelled on 2021 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7080 Report: Holley, S.. 1997. An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor for the Purposes of Conservation. Site 003.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889. [Mapped feature: #47041 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. RA Burton, 19 July 1993.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Resident of "Old Close".
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
- <7> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1044503, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7053 4084 (19m by 17m) With reference to SEM340794|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60721
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/128
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE12877
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW158
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1044503
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 1:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.