MDE20797 - Old Close, Challacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Three roofless buildings with partition walls, forming three sides of a square yard are visible on historic aerial photographs. Deserted farm site, "Old Close". [1-3] Site of 'Old Close' shown as a U shaped building round a square yard with other buildings to the south and east on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4,5] The cottage at "Old Close", which dates from 1796, was the quarry manager's house for Old Close Quarry.  Two structures are shown at this location on the Tithe Map for Challacombe. They are labelled 821, which the Apportionment describes as "Old Close: House and Court", owned and occupied by Partridge Ridd.  The original buildings shown on the Tithe Map appear to have been situated to the west of those shown as extant on the 2021 MasterMap data. The first buildings were located at c.SS 7039 4098 and SS 7039 4096; traces of these structures are still visible in the MasterMap data. Those visible at SS 7040 4097, SS 7041 4096 and SS 7043 4096 appear to be shown on the 1st Edition map, suggesting a mid to late 19th Century date. [4,7,8,9]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3145 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7040C.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889. [Mapped feature: #44778 ]
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Resident of "Old Close".
- <7> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 821.
- <8> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <9> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 23 February 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7040 4096 (80m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18157
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/73
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW158
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044503
Record last edited
Feb 23 2021 4:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.