MDE21224 - Kedworthy Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Possibly 1680 extended to rear in 19th Century. Colourwashed rendered rubble and cob. Slate roofs with gable ends. Large stack to left and massive stack to right gable end both with tapered caps and drips. Brick stack to rear wing. Originally 2-cell plan virtually symmetrical with cross-passage. Right angled 2- storeyed kitchen extension to rear left end forming overall L-shape with dairy outshut in the angle. 1 1/2 storeys. 3-window range. Gabled half dormers with slate-hung gables, and 2-light casements. 3-light casement to left and 2 light casement to right both with timber lintels of lean-to slate roof to projecting rubble porch with inner plank door and seat niches. All casements 19th Century to 20th Century 6- panes per light. Interior: partially exposed fireplace lintel at upper end dated 1680. Initialled A.S. Original close-set joists in situ. Lower end has bread oven and chamfered fireplace lintel with scroll stops incised with criss-cross design. Roof timbers are 20th Century replacements.  The farmhouse is visible on the 1838 High Bray Tithe map, in roughly the same form as is still visible on the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd Editions. This is still seen on the 2014 MasterMap. [2-5] The farm was visited in December 1996. The house was thought to be 18th Century or earlier in character.  The building was surveyed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2003-4. It received a condition score of 6.  The farmhouse was not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13.  The building is part of a group labelled "Kedworthy Farm" on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brayford (13 May 1987).
- <2> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5>XY SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41300 ]
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 65.
- <7> SEM8329 Unpublished document: Ford, M.. 2003-2004. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2003-2004.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <9> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7076 3705 (16m by 12m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- 2003-4 Building At Risk Score (6): 1615/6/91; 1872/6/91
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1872/6/91; 1615/6/91
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32920
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/586/1
Record last edited
Sep 9 2020 11:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.