MDE21004 - Kedworthy Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Kedworthy is documented in 1254 and 1636.  This farmstead is labelled Kedworthy on the 1838 High Bray Tithe Map and is in roughly the same form as is still visible on the 1st and 2nd Editions of the Ordnance Survey maps. This is with the exception of one structure shown on the Tithe Map at c. SS 7074 3705, which had been demolished by the time the 1st Edition had been surveyed, replaced by two other buildings in the western extent of the farmstead. After the 2nd Edition map was published, the farmstead has been extended to the east but it appears that the main buildings recorded on the Tithe Map are still present. [2-5] The site was visited in December 1996. It was noted to include a few small and low 19th Century rubble buildings with 20th Century sheds adjacent to them. 
- <1> SDE1312 Monograph: Gover, J. E. B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. 58.
- <2> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42035 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 65.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7079 3703 (133m by 85m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 28074
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/586
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 65
Record last edited
Sep 9 2020 11:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.