MDE21050 - Post-medieval quarry abutting Countisbury Hill Road (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A 'quarry' is shown on historic mapping. [1-3] A quarry of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs abutting Countisbury Hill Road, centred on circa SS 7366 4943. It is the larger of two quarries in close proximity, the second site being some 100 metres to the southwest, which may have been excavated to provide materials for the construction of Countisbury Hill Road. Both are marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889. [1,4]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 028-029 (15 April 1972).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7365 4943 (56m by 15m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466419 (Original Monarch entry: 1466419)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31068
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/173
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1999
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW204
- National Trust HER Record: MNA108055
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466419
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 3:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.