MMO1998 - Post-medieval quarry south of Ninney Well (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A quarry of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs abutting Countisbury Hill Road, centred on circa SS 7354 4940. It is the smaller of two quarries in close proximity, the second larger site being some 100 metres to the northeast, which may have been excavated to provide materials for the construction of Countisbury Hill Road. Both are marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889. [1,2] The quarry is shown on historic mapping. [2, 4-5] This record was enhanced as part of the pilot project for the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer. [6,7] The quarry is depicted and labelled as disused on 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 028-029 (15 April 1972).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <6> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 1466415.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1466415, Extant 25 July 2016.
- <8>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #37934 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7354 4940 (25m by 9m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA108053 (National Trust HER entry: MNA108053)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31070
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/171
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21052
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW203
- National Trust HER Record: MNA108053
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1466415
Record last edited
Sep 29 2021 12:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.